WHAT IS TURN?
The TU Rider Network (TURN) connects students, faculty and staff with the Tulsa community through cycling to promote a healthier, more environmentally friendly world. TURN was established in 2015 and works with many campus partners including Campus Security, Human Resources, Physical Plant, Student Affairs, Collins Fitness Center, the TU Student Association and others to provide:
- Facilities and mentoring for bike commuters
- Education for TU students, faculty and staff in safe cycling, bike maintenance and theft prevention
- Sponsorship of the student cycling and triathlon team
- Programming to promote the benefits of cycling and demonstrate that cycling is easy, safe and fun
- Expertise in planning for and evaluating cycling-related activities and infrastructure at TU and the surrounding community
The TU campus is ideal for cycling with wide streets, low speed traffic and an extensive network of shared-use pathways. All members of the campus community are encouraged to ride their bikes to campus or check out one of TU’s free yellow bikes from the Hurricane Bike Shop.
YELLOW BIKE PROGRAM
TU’s trademark yellow bicycles are loaned to students, faculty and staff free of charge for a semester and may be ridden on or off campus. To check out a bike, riders must complete an application with the Hurricane Bike Shop. All Yellow Bike Program participants receive a free helmet and lock.
HURRICANE BIKE SHOP
Located next door to TU’s Office of Campus Security in LaFortune Hall, the Hurricane Bike Shop is open Monday through Friday, 1 – 6 p.m. Yellow bike riders can air up tires and request minor repairs. The bike shop staff will also train riders to maintain their personal bikes.
For more information, you may contact the Hurricane Bike Shop at
918-631-3398 or firstname.lastname@example.org.